Mold removal is not only necessary for reasons of aesthetics, but for reasons of personal health. Because exposure to mold spores can produce a variety of toxins that may lead do respiratory problems, pulmonary bleeding and immune system disorders among other things, it’s important to treat mold problems as soon as they occur. Mold tests can be performed to assess a mold problem, thereafter mold should be removed promptly. Many faced with mold in their home are quite sure how to tackle the problem once it is discovered and it can also go undiscovered for a long time until it becomes a problem. Because there is a lot of misinformation about mold removal out there, may this list of the top myths and facts about mold removal help you separate the fact from fiction.
The idea that black mold is the most toxic is actually a misconception, because most mold that appears in the home is actually just very dark. Most toxic mold found in homes is closer to a dark green color. Black mold is actually somewhat common and is usually of the least concern when it comes to toxicity.
While mold is certainly not the best for your well-being, it's not necessarily toxic enough to kill. While most mold can produce toxins, it is not likely to release enough to cause an emergency health concern. However, some individuals may be more susceptible to these toxins than others.
Although mold needs moisture to form at first, it can continue to grow without it. Once mold forms, it can thrive off the surrounding moisture in the home. Humidity in the home would have to be reduced to extremely low levels in order for mold to stop growing completely.
Bleach is actually ineffective when it comes to removing mold. Though it can reduce the appearance of mold, the actual mold membrane itself remains intact and mold can form once again in the same spot, and it may actually get even worse. The mold strengthens its membrane in response to the mold and becomes more difficult to remove.
While you may be tempted to hire a maid to handle your mold problem, in fact not every cleaning service and the resources to remove mold. Mold must be removed with care and safety, following the right guidelines and using the proper equipment.
Much of the time mold is not actually visible. Mold can be hidden behind walls, under floors and in certain crevices. You probably won't even smell it or notice the effect on your health as it gradually affects your health, though you may notice respiratory improvement when vacationing.
While it might seem common sense that older homes are more likely to get mold over time, in actuality it is the opposite. The construction materials used to build newer homes are actually more susceptible to mold than older homes made of higher quality materials.